PROTECCIÓN SOLAR – CÓMO PROTEGERSE DEL SOL?
Photo-Protection Solar is one of the first steps to prevent skin damage caused by sun exposure, which if excessive can progress to skin lesions such as burns and eventually develop skin cancer.
PROTEGE TU PIEL
They are called Sunscreens O protectors photo all those products that are applied on skin in order to block and / or scatter ultraviolet solar (UV) providing protection from the harmful effects of ultraviolet solar radiation A (GRAPES) and / or ultraviolet B (UVB). Such products contain substances called filters, able to decrease the action of one and / or other radiation.
UVA, They act by oxidizing the melanin (pigment that gives color to the skin) and it takes effect “direct tanning”.
The numerical system to measure sun protection factor was established by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration – Adm. Food and Drug Administration US), and measures the amount of protection that the product provides against sunburn caused by UVB, to date it has not established a system for measuring UVA protection.
The Sun Protection Factor (SPF), indicates the time of sun exposure an individual before reaching burned, using a sunscreen product; for example, a person with light skin that usually starts to burn after 10 minutes in the sun, It takes 15 Sometimes that time with an SPF 15 (150 the minutes 2.5 hours).
A person with darker skin will take longer to burn unprotected, about 20 minutes. an SPF 15 offers 300 minutes (5 hours). The reapplication, using the same SPF, reinforces the initial protection but does not add time to the period of protection.
Applying a much higher SPF may extend the period of protection, but you should not rely on this if you feel the skin has begun to burn in this case we should immediately move away from the sun.
From 2 a 12 low
From 12 a 30 moderate
From 30 High onwards
This system was developed in the United States; Nevertheless, there are others of use in Europe and Australia systems SPF values are highly variable and are not standardized making it difficult to compare.
UVB radiation acting on the melanin producing cells (Melanocitos), activating production and oxidizing it, causing the so-called “Indirect or lasting tan”.
- Clear skin: It is usually lightly browned and burns.
- Dark skin: Always tans and does not usually burn.
"Clear Skin is much more sensitive to sun Dark Skin".
Recommendations that we must consider if we are going to expose to the sun?
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight two hours before and two hours after noon.
- Use sun protective clothing.
- Use sunscreens “spread spectrum” con SPF 15 as a minimum, In addition to avoiding the sun and other protective measures.
- Use sun protective structures (such umbrellas).
- Provide children with adequate sun protection.
- Against the use of solar chambers, tanning substances and sunlamps.
How should sunscreen be used?
The doctor. Gerardo Camacho Plastic Surgeon gives the following recommendations to achieve the maximum effect of sunscreen is necessary:
- Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow to be absorbed by the skin.
- It should reapply sunscreen in amounts equal to the first application every two hours or immediately after swimming, toweling or sweat.
- Choose cream and index appropriate sunscreen to your skin type.
- Spread the cream on dry skin well.
- Apply a generous layer of cream, ensuring that it has spread throughout the skin without leaving unprotected areas.
- In summer season, creams should be used more sunscreen index at the beginning, reducing it as it gets dark skin.
- Do not apply on skin perfume, cologne containing alcohol and plant essences, because they are photosensitizers.
- Use sunscreen even on cloudy days. . Until the 40 percent of ultraviolet radiation reaching the earth in a completely overcast day
- Avoid sun exposure between 11 and the 15 hours (schedule of maximum ultraviolet radiation).
- Protect your head with a hat or visor cap; eyes with suitable glasses, and lips with lip balm.
- It is not advisable to sun exposure and remain motionless for hours. It is healthier to walk or do some exercise while sunbathing.
- Drinking water or nonalcoholic fluids to avoid dehydration.
- If you are taking any medications, should consult the data sheet and check whether they are photosensitizers, in which case you should avoid sunbathing.
- In children, photo protection must be complete with ultra high protection, that is to say, the SPF must not be less than 30.
- in athletes, resistant creams used must sweat. If water sports are made, will be used creams waterproof.
What are the recommendations of Solar Eye Protection?
- The choice of sunglasses should provide a comfortable viewing with maximum eye protection. It should be assessed only after the aesthetic component
- The first requirement is to verify that possess the CE marking, It is indicating that meets the requirements of European legislation.
- The second technical aspect to consider is the type of sunscreen lenses.
- Filters allow prevent the arrival to the eye from harmful radiation, there are color filters, that combine color and absorptivity of solar radiation.
- Chromatic photo filters change the color of the lens according to the intensity of light, and mirrored reflect light, It is a good option if activities in spaces that reflect the light are made (snow activities, climb
- Polarizing filters reduce glare and are very useful to work in reflective surfaces (driving, at sea and aviation).
- Depending on the degree of intensity with that filter visible light, The European Union classifies these filters 0 al 4.
- Lenses category 0 reduce to a 20% visible light and goggles are recommended as comfort.
- Lenses category 1 (reduce the 20 al 57% the light) for permanent use daily but not without prolonged or frequent sun exposure.
- Lenses category 2 (of the 57 al 82%) for sports ,cycling, sidewalks etc..
- Lenses category 3, reducing light 82 al 92%, for use in sports or permanent example Solar beach, mar, Montana).
- Lenses category 4 (reduce the 92 al 98% the light) high mountain and water sports intense.
The lens colors found in the market and its characteristics .....
- Brown improves vision of contrasts, It recommended in the winter realization dedeportes, tennis, Myopia or if you are floodlit.
- Gray does not alter the color vision and is a good alternative to driving glasses.
- Green little alter color vision and fits well in all kinds of uses, especially in case of farsightedness and for water sports and winter.
- Yellow improves vision of contrasts and is recommended for night driving.
Dr. Gerardo Camacho
Member Colombian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and Reconstructive SCCP
Bogotá – Colombia
Tel: +57 3187120345 – WhatsApp